Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Peaches come from a can/ they were put there by a man/ in a factory doooowwwwwntoooowwwwnnnnnn

My beautiful, lovely, talented, amazing, fabulous, etc neighbors went to Georgia. And because they love me (mostly because I'm a shameless flatterererer), they brought me these gorgeous farm-stand peaches:



I have finally learned my lesson about canning stuff. Instead of googling "peach jam," I went straight to Marissa's blog, Food in Jars. But now I have a conundrum. Because I fell in love with the first thing that caught my eye - this Peach Jalapeno Jelly.

BUT! To make that, I have to can peaches. And I dooooonnnn'ttttt waaaaaaannnnnaaaaaa. *pouts*. I don't like canned peaches. They're squishy. *scrunches up nose*.

Just as I was about to spiral into a 4-year-old worthy fit of whining and foot-stomping, I saw this fruit butter post. I used this recipe a couple summers ago to make apple butter. Only problem being that I made so much apple butter that I kind of went off it for awhile. Awhile being a year and a half, apparently (BTW, can I interest you in some apple butter??). But here's my grand plan - I think maybe I can process the peaches as though I am going to can them, but then (here's the tricky part) not can them. I know!!!! I'm like the Sigfried and Roy of cooking. Except not the one who got mauled. I'm the other one. So then I'll take my processed peaches and cook them down to butter and then (here's another twist, are you ready?) can the butter. And take the left over syrup (theoretically this should leave more syrup for jellying) and make the Peach Jalapeno. My only concern is that the peach butter might be super sweet....but there's only one way to find out!

2 comments:

  1. The peaches don't absorb that much sweetness during their syrup bath, so you should be able to flavor the syrup for jelly and still be able to turn the peaches into butter. Let me know if you have questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marisa!! :) I'm about to do it!

    ReplyDelete